I’ve been to loads of cooking classes that focus on night-time entertaining menus, so it was with pleasure that I discovered Apron’s Cooking School’s brunch-making class: Peach Mimosa, Asparagus and Gruyère Tart, Scallion Soup Garnished with Creamed Goat Cheese, Crab Benedict with Field Green Salad and Lemon Bar Cheesecake. My companion and I were wowed by the meal, but we both agreed that the Scallion Soup garnished with Creamed Goat Cheese was the most delightful recipe.
Scallion Soup Garnished with Creamed Goat Cheese
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 bunches scallions, white and tender green parts cut into 1-inch lengths, green parts thinly sliced
- 4 leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- kosher salt, freshly ground white pepper and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 c dry white wine (unoaked Chardonnay used here)
- 3 c water
- 2 c heavy cream (or a cup each of milk and Greek yogurt)
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 2 oz goat cheese, softened
In a large pan, over medium-high heat, heat oil, then add white and tender green parts of scallions, leeks, fennel and onion. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring, until vegetables soften. Add wine and boil over high heat for 12 minutes, until liquid is reduced to a few tablespoons. Add water and cream, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add thinly sliced green part of scallions and cook just until softened.
In a Vitamix or blender, purée soup, then season to taste with salt.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk buttermilk with goat cheese. Serve soup topped with a decorative drizzle of creamed goat cheese, a sprinkling of black pepper and some thinly sliced green scallions. A squeeze bottle gives you the best artsy drizzle control. Serves 8.
- Who knew scallion soup was a thing? Here’s one with potato, ginger egg-drop, peas, mushrooms and, believe it or not, French fries!
- Wanna know what chefs have to say about squeeze bottles?
- Looking for lovely ways to garnish soup? Look here, here and here.
- Here’s the rest of the brunch menu.
Asparagus and Gruyère Tart
Crab Benedict with Field Green Salad
Lemon Bar Cheesecake