Is it possible to fall in love with a country you’ve never visited?
The New Irish Table, Recipes from Ireland’s Top Chefs fans the flames for love of everything Irish. Ireland today is said to be a “paradise for epicures.” and this coffee table delight, edited by Leslie Conron Carola, illuminates the country’s culinary renaissance. Ten award-winning chefs contribute lunch and creative three-course dinner menus complete with recipes.
Vodka-Cured Irish Salmon with Horseradish Mayonnaise is the creation of chef Derry Clarke of Dublin’s L’Ecrivain Restaurant. You’ll be more than impressed with the ease of preparation and delight in serving this luscious appetizer. Happy St. Paddy’s Day indeed!
Vodka-Cured Irish Salmon with Horseradish Mayonnaise
- 2 1/4 lb salmon fillet
- 1/4 c sea salt
- 1/4 c sugar (I used 1/4 c of maple syrup)
- 1 orange, juiced and rind, sliced
- 3 oz vodka
- 1/4 c fresh dill, stalks and leaves separated, leaves chopped
- 1 T white peppercorns (or black ones)
Place salmon in a deep dish as small as possible to sit flat. Mix salt and sugar and sprinkle over salmon, with peppercorns and orange rind. Add vodka, orange juice and dill stalks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Prior to serving, lift salmon out of marinade, reserving the marinade in the dish. Rinse off the salmon in cold water. Dry with paper towel. Sample a slice from both the thicker and the thinner ends to test for flavour. If required, slice and return to marinade for an hour to allow flavours to permeate. Rinse in cold water and dry with paper towel.
Cover salmon with chopped dill. Serve slices with Horseradish Mayonnaise on brown bread or Finn Crisps. For some celebratory flare, toast with iced vodka shots.
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1 T horseradish, freshly grated or jar
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and horseradish. Refrigerate Horseradish Mayonnaise, covered, in a small shallow dish.
Note: Chef Derry Clarke served Vodka-Cured Irish Salmon with Horseradish Mayonnaise with a dollop of Avocado Cream and Pickled Vegetables on the side.
Vodka-Cured Irish Salmon with Horseradish Mayonnaise Print Ready Recipes
- You’ll need something to do while your salmon is curing so how about watching one of these 17 best Irish movies on Netflix or 24 of the best films set in Ireland.
- Or take a peek at these 9 Irish books every book lover should read, these 15 books to read if you want to understand the Irish or this handy list of fiction and non-fiction Irish books and films. I just started reading The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan, and it’s an ideal way to immerse myself in Irish culture while nibbling on Vodka-Cured Irish Salmon with Horseradish Mayonnaise.
- For some Irish visuals, gaze upon Ireland’s most picture perfect spots or these 10 best modern Irish artists.
- If you’re planning a trip to Ireland, don’t embarrass yourself : Avoid these cultural mistakes.
(Disclaimer: The New Irish Table, Recipes from Ireland’s Top Chefs was sent to JC for review. The opinions expressed are genuine.)
Jovina Coughlin says
It does look easy and delicious.
Jittery Cook says
Easy seems to be my new mantra, Jovina.
Louise Hebert says
Oh Yum! I can’t wait to try this recipe!!! Thank you!!!
Jittery Cook says
It’s an exciting alternative to the usual salmon recipes. Glad you like, Louise.
Looks wonderful. I especially love the photo of the salmon marinating in the Pyrex. Gorgeous colours!
Jittery Cook says
Thanks Cheryl. I’m also very influenced by colours. Food can be so artsy!