It’s berry picking season! You can enjoy your berries au natural or treat yourself, and loved ones, to freshly baked berry goodness. Blackcurrant Jittery Jam Squares are made with Blackcurrant Jam, using blackcurrants we picked ourselves at Paradis des Fruits. What a great pick! We headed home with a trunk full of tasty fruit for a whole host of recipes: Blackcurrant Vodka, Blackcurrant Apple Pear Tart, BBQ Salmon with Blackcurrant Ginger Sauce, Blackcurrant Rack of Lamb and Layered Lemon, Basil Blackcurrant Frozen Yogurt.
Blackcurrant Jittery Jam Squares
- 1/3 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 c oats
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 3/4 c blackcurrant jam
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Make a crumble mixture by combining sugar and butter in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in egg. Mix in flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Press more than half of mixture into a 9″ square pan lined with parchment paper. Layer on jam, then top with remaining mixture, patting it down.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until slightly golden and bubbly hot. Cool, then cut into 16 or more squares. Freeze for great texture and a cool treat in this heat. Serve directly from the freezer, as they don’t really freeze. The ingredients are healthy, with whole wheat and less sugar and butter than many squares. Freezing keeps them from being slightly dry.
- Credit to Julie Van Rosendaal for inspiring these jittery jam squares. And credit to my sister, Julia Richardson, for tweaking the recipe, jittery style.
- If you’re in Brooklyn, NY go see Adrianne Rubenstein’s show at Deli Gallery.
- Not comfortable yet going to a gym? Looking for a fantastic online classes? Check out David Snively on Instagram. David has graciously supplied hundreds of hours of free classes during lockdown, and now he’s going to shift to a private IG platform for members.
- Jittery Cook has been committed to sharing recipes since September 2011 and is now sharing for the 500th time. I’m grateful to everyone who’s shared in this journey — shared their favourite recipes or shared their pleasure at finding new recipes to cherish.