Do you have a pet, or friends who love their pets, or a pet craving for apple crisp?
Check out my friend Mimi Kitner and her Pet Paintings. If you send her a photo of little Fenway, Goose, Shiloh, Freckles or Frisky, she’ll send you back a stunning painting. It’ll cost you, but just like Mimi’s Delicious Apple Crisp, it’s worth it.
Mimi’s Delicious Apple Crisp
- 8 small or medium-sized tart apples, such as McIntosh, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), room temperature
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 c flour
Grease a 9-inch square (or any medium-sized) baking dish. Add apple slices to the dish.
In a large bowl use your fingers to mix the butter, sugar and flour to a crumble. Completely cover the apples with the crumble. (Can be prepared in advance and refrigerated for 24 hours. Remove from refrigeration 30 minutes before baking.)
Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for 60 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Serves 6.
- Run, don’t walk to your nearest movie theatre showing Bohemian Rhapsody because it’s really, really good.
- Mimi likes to bake with McIntosh apples but it seems that Bon Appetit, Chef Heidi Fink and Bonnie Stern have all kinds of suggestions.
- Do you know the Canadian history of the McIntosh Apple?
- Do you know a crumble from a cobbler or a crisp?
- Here are 10 apple desserts that are easier than pie.
- Fiona Apple sings Not About Love.
- Fiona Apple sings Paper Bag.
- Take a peek below and try to match the names Fenway, Goose Shiloh, Matza, Marmite, Rosie, Missy, Freckles or is it Frisky? with these Pet Paintings by Mimi.