Forget about a regular night out at a good restaurant. It isn’t every day that you get the chance to sample a creative, delicious meal, prepared by experienced chefs, as you watch, ask questions, learn techniques and laugh along. Yes, laugh along, because a well-honed comedy routine keeps the night rolling along. And, the icing on the cake — there’s spectacular wine pairing for each course.
Unfortunately, I can’t remember the jokes, but the presentation, the flavours and the feeling of being oh-so-well catered to will remain and keep me coming back for more.
This Publix Apron’s Cooking Class was offered to JC for review — a perk of the trade — however, rest assured that the opinions expressed are genuine.
Wondering what we sampled?
Hearts of Palm Salad with Citrus Supremes and Toasted Pine Nuts
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce, hydroponic, stem removed
- 1 14-oz can hearts of palm, rinsed, drained, sliced on the diagonal, chilled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 each orange, grapefruit, Meyer lemon, peeled, segmented
- 2 shallots, thinly julienned
- basil leaves, julienned
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/8 c red wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c pine nuts toasted
- a drizzle of basil oil and lemon oil as garnish (optional)
Place lettuce leaves on plates. Top with hearts of palm, tomatoes, citrus, shallots and basil.
In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, Drizzle dressing over salad. Sprinkle with pine nuts before serving. Garnish with a little basil and lemon oil.
Here’s how to segment (supreme) citrus:
Key Lime Ceviche with Plantains
Orange Marmalade Glazed Grouper with Cilantro Rice and Roasted Asparagus with Citrus Zest
Grapefruit Poppy Seed Loaf with Orange Blossom Honey Sorbet
Spectacular wine pairings for each course
Dessert wine ended the evening on a perfect note!
- A five-star, four course elegant meal, with five excellent alcoholic beverages for $45? This Publix Apron’s demonstration cooking class began at 6:30 and was so well paced, it ended in just 2 hours, leaving plenty of time for binge watching The American’s.
- Will you watch the Oscar’s? Serving anything special?
- Looking forward to the new season of The American’s starting March 7th.