We are supposed to remember to be grateful. Apparently it’s good for our health. If it’s true, my health should be outstanding because I’m grateful for so much — the big things, the medium-sized things and even the teeny weeny things.
On that happy note, Savoury French Toast Crouton Salad works. Seriously!
Savoury French Toast Crouton Salad
- 4 slices of bread, seeded rye or pumpernickel
- 2 – 3 eggs, lightly beaten with 2 teaspoons of milk or water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 t butter
- 1 8 oz container baby bella mushrooms, sliced, sautéed until golden in a little butter
- 2 handfuls watercress (1 1/2 oz)
- 2 handfuls arugula (1 1/2 oz)
- 2 t olive oil
- 2 t seasoned rice vinegar
- freshly grated Parmesan as garnish
In a large bowl, mix watercress and arugula with olive oil and rice vinegar, seasoning with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Divide onto 2 plates.
In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Soak bread in egg mixture until all the egg mixture has been absorbed.
In a large pan, over medium heat, melt butter and cook french toast, flipping after a minute or so until golden. Remove from pan onto cutting board and cut 2 of the 4 toasts into bite-sized croutons.
Dot salad plates with Savoury French Toast Croutons and half of the golden mushroom slices. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan. Serve the remaining whole slices of Savoury French Toast garnished with Parmesan, and the remainder of the golden mushrooms. Serves 2.
You’re in for a sugarless French toast treat — unless of course you just can’t keep yourself from drizzling on a wee bit of maple syrup.
- Ahem, did you see prediction #3? — Breakfasts will get savoury, they say. Just want you to know that I came up with this recipe before reading the Top 11 Food Predictions for 2017.
- And yes, it’s not your imagination. I have been on a braincation as I was dealing with oh so many of life’s normal ups and downs these past few months, but I think I may be stabilizing and ready to get back into weekly JC post form. Did you even notice?
- I discovered Andrew Bird by accident thanks to a misunderstanding with Alexa. Listen up, Bird is mega talented.