My bridge partners are anxious to be included in JC, and I’m anxious for them to supply me with recipes they love so I can share. Until then, they get a brief, anonymous yet honorable mention — I wish you could have seen how mad they went for these Tamari Almonds!
Too bad, they couldn’t stick around to watch me play the trump card, Tamari Almond Dover Sole and Sun-Dried Tomato Orzo.
Dover Sole Marinade
- 1 1/2 lb Dover sole
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T chopped dill
- 1 lemon zest
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine ingredients and rub on fish. In a large baking pan covered with parchment paper, roast fish at 420F for 10 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped tamari almonds, asparagus and orzo. Serves 6. Can be made in advance and reheated or served cold.
- 6 c almonds
- 1/2 c tamari
- 1/2 t sugar, or maple syrup
Preheat oven to 300F
Spread almonds out in a single layer large baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring at halftime.
In a large bowl, combine tamari and sugar. Add almonds, stir from time to time while they soak for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to return almonds to the baking pan. Discard liquid. Bake, stirring, for 10 minutes. Check to see how crispy almonds are, then bake another 5 minutes and check again. You want them lightly roasted but not burnt. Because nuts get more crispy and crunchy after they cool down, it’s best to undercook them — and then cook them another 5 minutes at a later time.
Sun-Dried Tomato Orzo
- 1 c orzo, cooked
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 3 T sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 T dill, chopped
- 1 t maple syrup
- 2 T capers, plus a bit of juice
- pinch hot pepper flakes
- pinch sea salt
In a large bowl, mix ingredients, then use half the sauce to dress cooked orzo. Sample to adjust seasoning. Use the remainder of the sun-dried tomato sauce to garnish either the orzo or the fish. Serves 4 – 6. Can be made in advance and reheated or served cold.
- Tamari Almond recipe was adapted from Epicurious.
- Dover Sole and Sun-Dried Tomato Orzo recipes were inspired by Delicate Fish with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce and my desire to share the Tamari Almond recipe with you.
- For a fantastic trail mix, combine Barry’s chocolate buttons, Tamari Almonds and Craisins. Please don’t blame me if you can’t stop munching.
- You must go see Sing Street a fantastic, refreshing movie out of Dublin. Don’t forget to sneak in some Tamari Almonds.