Imagine an industry so sweet yet so conniving. Imagine an industry being awarded for keeping scientific evidence from consumers.Yes, sugar. Follow the money, as my brother likes to say. Does big business have no conscience? My good friend, dietician Cheryl Weiss, says that sugar is the new fat. Industry used the low-fat craze as a ruse to load us all up with sugar–and make us fat!
Tomato Dill Bisque
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 28 oz cans tomatoes
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 4 c broth
- 1/2 c chopped dill
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Sauté onion and garlic on low heat, with the pot covered, for about 10 minutes until tender, but not brown. Add tomatoes, broth, sauce and dill. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Purée in a blender. Taste before seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with Cheese Crisps or garnish with a dollop of sour cream, yogurt or tzatziki. Serves 8.
- 2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Grate 1 ounce of the Parmigiano finely and then another ounce of long shreds. Combine them. Form heaping tablespoons of the grated Parmigiano on the parchment papers. Bake for about 4 minutes or until golden.
Cool slightly and lift with a metal spatula. Serve at room temperature.
- Thanks to my good friend, Maitre Myra Aizer Goldberg, for this wonderful Tomato Dill Bisque recipe. Myra won the Tasty Turkey Prize Pack. Send in your favourite recipes for a chance to win the next JC prize.
- The excellent canned plum tomatoes used here were from Boulangerie et Patisserie Molisana on Somerled. What’s your favourite canned plum tomato?
- Look here for the original Cheese Crisp recipe.
- Check out my cousin Sarah Baxter’s lovely, natural, hand knitted children’s toys at Elephant Emporium.
- You are invited to a Pampered Chef – Jittery Cook get together on Sunday, April 28, at 1:00. Email [email protected] if you’d like to reserve a spot. Christina Abboud will demo 3 recipes and you’ll get to go home with new cooking ideas and the promise of new, excellent Pampered Chef cookware in your near future.