Thick or thin skinned? Can you be both at once? Zero Dark Thirty relates the story of Maya, who cared with incredible perseverance and tenacity. She was thick skinned in forcing her vision to fruition, but thin skinned with empathetic pain, need for justice and closure.
Spicy Lentil Carrot Soup
- 2 c red lentils, rinsed
- 1 T olive oil
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 t each; turmeric and cumin seeds
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small red chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 28 oz can plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1 T lemon juice
- 6 c soup stock
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk (optional)
- finely chopped cilantro as garnish
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic, seasonings and chilies, stirring for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Add carrots, lentils, lemon juice and soup stock. Simmer for about an hour, until the carrots are cooked.
Stir in coconut milk and cook an additional 20 minutes just before serving. Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve with a green salad and toasty naan bread. Serves 6-8.
- This soup was so thick that I came close to renaming it a stew–or a curry. It even tasted delicious cold, before adding the coconut milk.
- Credit for this recipe goes to Judith Finlayson‘s Slow Cooker Recipes.
- Going Beyond Soup: 10 Satisfying Recipes Made with Lentils – Recipe Roundup (thekitchn.com)
- Detox Lentil Soup (food-alovestory.com)
- Orange and Lentil Soup (eatliverunnutrition.com)
- Peasant Food for Royalty – Oricchette with Lentils (seriousbreadseriouscheese.com)
- Sausage and Lentil Soup (annashortcakes.wordpress.com)
- Lentil soup is fast, filling, nutritious and thrifty (seattletimes.com)
- Quick & Easy Lentil Soup (vegetarianventures.com)
- Baby Steps to Indian Cuisine: Jacki’s Red Lentil Dal (acougarinthekitchen.com)
- spicy lamb and lentil soup (instructables.com)