delicata squash, delicata squash recipe, dinner, grilled squash, healthy recipe, recipe, recipes, roasted squash, squash, squash chips, squash recipe, squash rosemary and thyme, thanksgiving recipe, thanksgiving squash, vegetarian
Happy Thanksgiving to all Jittery Cook and recipe 2 recipe readers! Wishing you great celebrations and many things to be thankful for, now and forever. One of the things I’m thankful for is having all of you in my extended circle.
Couldn’t wait to share this little gem of a recipe that would enhance whatever Thanksgiving holiday celebrations you have in mind.
Delicata Squash Stacks
- 3 medium delicata squash, cut in half vertically, remove stem and seeds, and slice very thinly (1/8″)
- 2 T fruity olive oil
- 2 T roughly chopped fresh rosemary (or 2 t dried and crumbled a bit)
- 1 T roughly chopped fresh thyme (or 1 t dried)
- 1 t paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400F. Combine the squash, olive oil and herbs in a large bowl, mixing well with your hands. Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper, then toss again. Stack the squash in triangular or stair shaped mounds. Sprinkle with a little paprika. Roast for 45-50 minutes until the edges brown and the flesh is very tender. Sprinkle on a little more sea salt as required. Serves 6.
- You can substitute 4 large potatoes, sweet potatoes or a combination of the two for the squash. This recipe is inspired by Nick Nairn‘s New Scottish Cookery, a fresh innovative approach to cooking with the finest Scottish ingredients. He makes the potato version.
- Thanks to my sister Julia for insisting that I try this recipe, and to Laura and her mom Allison Richardson for bringing a little Scotland into our lives.
- Today’s Recipe: Grilled Squash and Orzo Salad with Pine Nuts and Mint (williams-sonoma.com)
- What Can I Do With Winter Squash? (jovinacooksitalian.com)
- Do It Delicata (selahkoile.com)