One Bubbie made floaters and the other, sinkers. I was partial to the floaters — soft, billowy matzo balls that melted in your mouth. My cousin always joked about bouncing the sinkers along the narrow long Seder tables.
Add them to this Carrot Squash Sweet Potato Soup, and you get a perfect meatless alternative to Bubbie’s standard — chicken soup. Go ahead and please the vegetarians and vegans among you with this splendid, glowing bowl of orange.
Carrot Squash Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 medium-sized carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 two-pound squash, peeled, seeded, chopped in chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potato, chopped in chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- a handful of celery leaves
- 8 c water or broth
- 1 T Better Than Bouillon, vegetable flavour
- 1 t Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c fresh dill, finely chopped as garnish
- mini dill matzo balls, as garnish
Add all ingredients, except for dill and matzo balls, to Instant Pot and pressure cook for 12 minutes. Blend in a Vitamix, or powerful blender, and taste to adjust seasoning. Serve garnished with dill and Mini Dill Matzo Balls. Serves 8.
Mini Dill Matzo Balls – Floaters
- 1 package matzo ball mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 T finely chopped fresh dill
In a medium-sized bowl, combine egg and oil, then add matzo ball mix and dill. Let batter rest for 15 minutes. Form into about 27 mini balls, each the size of a quarter.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in matzo balls. Cover pot. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove matzo balls from water with a slotted spoon. Allow them to cool if making in advance. Can be frozen on a flat surface.
- Happy Pesach! Happy Easter! I’m so happy spring has sprung.
- It’s easier to peel squash with a serrated peeler.
- Have you seen Streit’s Matzo and the American Dream?
- Watch film director Michael Levine discuss the documentary, which chronicles the final historic year of the last family owned matzo bakery in America, located on New York’s Lower East Side.