Raise your hand if a grilled cheese sandwich is one of your favourite comfort foods. It isn’t exactly news that we collectively crave grilled cheese. But here’s a newsmaker: the wild and crazy Grilled Cheese & Beer, Recipes for the Finer Things in Life from beer brewer Kevin Vanblarcum and chef James Edward “Eddie” Davis.
Grilled Cheese & Beer gives you 64 grilled cheese recipes, each with an ideal beer pairing. It’s party fare, date night fare and grown kids family fare. There’s a beer guide, there’s a cheese guide, and there’s an awful lot of funny puns — more than enough to keep you amused as you decide where to start. I started with simple, with ingredients I love, and was thrilled with each bite — and each swig.
Dill Weed Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- sliced dill Havarti cheese
- handful of dandelion greens, thick part of spine removed
- 1 t honey or maple syrup
- a little butter
Butter the outside of the bread, place, buttered side down, in a pan and cover with Havarti.
In another pan, steam the dandelion greens. Chop greens or leave them whole.
When the cheese is melted and the bread is golden, layer the dandelion and honey over the cheese, close the sandwich and slice on the diagonal. Serve the Dill Weed Grilled Cheese with a session IPA or Pale Ale.
(Disclaimer: Grilled Cheese & Beer, Recipes for the Finer Things in Life was sent to JC for review. The opinions expressed are genuine. Recipe was reprinted with permission from Hatherleigh Press.)
- Who knew that April was grilled cheese month?
- Are you up to date on grilled cheese trivia? Want some weird facts about cheese?
- Grilled cheese is one of the 5 most popular sandwiches from around the world!
- If grilled cheese sandwiches are a walk down memory lane, keep walking and enjoy the cheesy good old days of Student Bodies, featuring Erin Simms.