This is the year to step up your Halloween celebration—to graduate from thrilling the children and move on to entertaining us adults as well.
Throw together a crazy outfit. Spook up your home and find a scary movie. Then bake a Harvey Wallbanger Cake and invite some friends over to share the fear and fun.
Harvey Wallbanger Cake is from the aunt of my good friend, Laura Winer. It was one of Aunt Bercie’s most popular cakes, although it took her years to share the recipe because she was embarrassed by the fact that it uses mixes.
Harvey Wallbanger Cake
- 1 package Duncan Hines Orange Cake mix
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 c cooking oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 c vodka
- 1/4 c Galliano
- 3/4 c orange juice
Note: Looking to increase the orange quotient in your Harvey Wallbanger Cake? If you’re having trouble finding the DH Orange Cake mix, then use the DH Golden or Lemon mixes and add the zest of an orange, perhaps a little turmeric for colour and a drop of Wild Orange edible essential oil.
- 1 c confectioner’s sugar
- 1 1/2 T vodka
- 1 1/2 T Galliano
- 1 1/2 T orange juice
In a small bowl, mix ingredients. Drizzle glaze on cooled cake.
For a scary Halloween colour combination, decorate cake and platter with Dark Chocolate Candied Orange.
Dark Chocolate Candied Orange
- 2 navel oranges, sliced 1/4-inch thick, ends discarded (or 5 clementines)
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 c coconut sugar, or regular granulated sugar
- 2 oz good quality dark chocolate, melted
In a large pan, over high heat, combine water and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add citrus slices and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, flip slices, then simmer 15 more minutes until syrup thickens. Cool slices on a rack. Reserve the syrup for another recipe.
Dip slices in chocolate to coat half of each slice, then cool on parchment paper.
Note: Use organic or wash citrus very, very well when using peel.
- Want to learn about the history of cake mixes?
- Want to learn about the cocktail history behind the Harvey Wallbanger?
- Here are 23 more grown up Halloween party recipes from Delish and 34 adult Halloween party ideas from One Little Project.
- Listen to Jacques Pepin‘s lovely accent as he demonstrates how to make candied orange peel.