Sugar, sugar, sugar! I try really hard to stay clear of sugar and sugary treats — and usually, I’m successful. But this is the time of year to think about picking blackcurrants and making simple blackcurrant freezer jam and blackcurrant vodka, which need a little sugar. On the good side, you only need a little bit to taunt your senses.
The Batch cookbook, a food preserving bible, uses blueberries instead of blackcurrants in this BBQ Salmon – Blackcurrant Ginger Sauce delicious recipe.
Blackcurrant Ginger Sauce
- 1 1/2 T unsalted butter
- 3/4 c sliced scallions, 2 tablespoons reserved for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, grated on a microplane or pressed
- 1/2 T ginger, grated on a microplane or minced
- 1/4 t coarse salt
- 1/4 t cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of dried thyme
- pinch of dried mustard
- 3/4 c Blackcurrant jam
- 2 t balsamic vinegar
- 1 t rice wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
In a small pot, heat butter over medium heat and add the scallions, garlic, ginger, salt, thyme, cinnamon and mustard powder. Sauté for 4 minutes to soften. Add remaining ingredients, tasting to adjust seasoning and adding a few teaspoons of water to thin to gravy consistency.
BBQ Salmon – Blackcurrant Ginger Sauce
- 1 side of salmon, cut into 8 portions, removed from refrigeration 30 minutes before cooking
- 1 T olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- cayenne or chili powder
Soak a cedar plank or two in water for an hour, or wipe the hot BBQ grill with oil before cooking salmon. Preheat the BBQ to medium-high or the oven to 425F.
Dry the salmon with a paper towel, then brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook skin side down until white bits ooze out, indicating it’s cooked through (about 8 – 12 minutes in the oven.) Serve with warm Blackcurrant Ginger Sauce, garnished with reserved scallion.
- I love doodling. And apparently I love doodle art too. The Spectacular Sketchbook, by doodle master Kerby Rosanes, is a reproduction of Rosanes’ sketchbook. He’s an artist from the Philippines creating black ink doodles filled with imagination, magic and inspiration. To win a copy, subscribe to Jittery Cook, or if you’re already subscribed, ask a friend to subscribe, then email me at [email protected]. The drawing will take place June 30, 2016.
- And, about sugar, watch Sugar Coated on Netflix for the skinny on just how important it is to curb your intake.
- Still looking for something to watch? Janis: Little Girl Blue is the least sugar coated story about Joplin’s life.
- If you’re ready to pick some blackcurrants, head on out to Paradis des Fruits, in Dunham Quebec, where fruit picking is a fun family activity. Call ahead to verify availability.