The only scapes I’m really familiar with are escapes and landscapes. Garlic scapes are a brand new challenge.
The sharpness of this Garlic Scape Basil Pesto heightens the intensity of this Garlic Scape Basil Pesto Baked Pasta. Consider this dish an escape from the usual landscape of ordinary cuisine.
Garlic Scape Basil Pesto Baked Pasta
- 6 eggs
- 1 c each 2% Greek yogurt, grated cheese (friulano or cheddar)
- 1/2 c skim milk
- 250 g (9oz) pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 c Garlic Scape Basil Pesto
- 1 zucchini, grated
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 420F.
Lightly butter or oil a 9×13-inch baking dish. Place well strained, room temperature pasta in the dish.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, salt, pepper and pesto. Fold in and zucchini. Spread the egg mixture evenly over the pasta.
Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 30 minutes or until set, golden and bubbly. Serve with sliced tomatoes and salad. Serves 6-8. Excellent garnished with extra Garlic Scape Basil Pesto.
Garlic Scape Basil Pesto
- 2 c coarsely chopped garlic scapes
- 1 c tightly packed basil leaves (1 bunch basil)
- 1/2 c each tamari almonds, grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a food processor, combine the garlic scapes, basil, cheese, oil, and nuts until fairly smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Can be frozen.
- If you have a favourite recipe using garlic scapes, please share.
- Garlic Scape Basil Pesto Baked Pasta is basically a kugel — that is, a comfort food.
- Find out when and why to pick garlic scapes and how good Garlic Scape Basil Pesto is draped over grilled fish.