Mix. It’s such a simple, short word, but it’s loaded with potential. Everything in life is all about the mix — who, when, where, how and why we mix people, places, things. Today we’ll stick to one little important mix — mimicking the pre-packaged onion soup mix, from my childhood. Could someone please tell me why we never, ever use pre-packaged onion soup mix to make onion soup?
This Crispy Onion Chicken could be made with pre-packaged onion soup mix, but then I couldn’t vouch for it the way I can vouch for this perfectly balanced and healthier Homemade Onion Soup Mix. Crispy Onion Chicken will make your gathering a joyous one, depending of course on who’s coming. It’s all about the mix.
Crispy Onion Chicken
- 1/2 c Homemade Onion Soup Mix
- 3/4 c homemade breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 T each Dijon mustard, mayonnaise
- 2 lbs chicken, deboned, skinless, breast and thigh
Preheat oven to 350F.
Cut breast into 3-4 even pieces.
In a shallow bowl, combine onion soup mix and breadcrumbs. In another shallow bowl, mix egg, mustard and mayonnaise. Coat all chicken in egg mixture, then in breadcrumb mixture.
Cover a baking pan with parchment paper. Bake chicken for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Serve hot or cold. Serves 8.
Homemade Onion Soup Mix
- 1/2 c dried onion flakes, smashed a little for smaller flakes
- 1 t each onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley, turmeric, sea salt
- 1/2 t each celery salt, freshly ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients and store in a glass jar. Makes a half a cup.
- The Homemade Onion Soup Mix is from Wellness Mama, who can tell you how to use the mix as soup stock.
- True confessions: there was no dried parsley in my larder so I substituted dried basil.
- There’s another fabulous recipe using Homemade Onion Soup Mix coming down the pike, so if you like short ribs, make a double batch of mix.