Truth be told, I was dying for a good lentil grilled cheese sandwich. But there was no sandwich category in the Canadian Lentil Recipe Contest. And I already used up the freestyle category with the Chocolatey Lentil Crunch. But, hey, what about that salad category?
Spinach Lentil Wrap with salad greens in and around the wrap, spotlights lentils. The more I eat them, the more I want to eat them. Never felt better.
Spinach Lentil Wrap Salad
- 1 large bunch baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/3 c cooked brown or green lentils, until tender, then left to dry (so there is no water in the wrap)
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/3 c finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, very finely chopped
- 4 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (or any cheese you enjoy melted)
- 4 large whole wheat wraps
To assemble 1 portion at a time:
In a medium-sized bowl combine lentils, red pepper, onion and jalapeño. This is your lentil mixture.
In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup of the lentil mixture with 1 ounce of cheese. This is your lentil-cheese mixture. Mix 3 teaspoons of Spinach Lentil Wrap Salad Dressing (recipe below) into the lentil-cheese mixture.
Lay out about a dozen spinach leaves on a wrap. Add lentil-cheese mixture in a line down the center. Add a little freshly ground black pepper. Cover the lentil-cheese mixture line with 3 more spinach leaves. Roll up, wrap snugly and place on hot grill.
Grill for 3-4 minutes, flipping once or twice. Using a sharp knife, cut grilled wrap into 4.
Arrange a big handful of spinach salad leaves in a wide, flat bowl. Stand up Spinach Lentil Wrap in center of salad as pictured below. Scatter 2-3 tablespoons of the lentil mixture on top. Spoon 2 teaspoons of dressing over spinach salad leaves. Serve with tabasco on the side, cause some like their lentil wraps hot.
Repeat, to make the next 3 Spinach Lentil Wrap Salads, adjusting seasoning and amount of dressing as preferred. The cheese is on the scant side for sensible health reasons. Add more if you want that oozing lentil grilled cheese experience. Serves 4.
Spinach Lentil Wrap Salad Dressing
- 1 T finely chopped dry shallot
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 T sherry vinegar
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- 3 T olive oil
In a small bowl, combine shallots, garlic, vinegar and salt. Add mustard. Slowly add oil while stirring vigorously with a fork to form an emulsion. Serves 4. Double recipe if you like lots of dressing. It won’t go to waste; it tastes absolutely perfect on any salad or cooked vegetable.
- Fourth time’s a charm! Remember, your support can put Jittery Cook on the contest award-winning podium. Click here and ‘Like‘ the Spinach Lentil Wrap Salad, Asian Marinated Salmon on Lentil and Quinoa, Cacao Lentil Crunch and the Bloody Mary Lentil Soup. Thanks!
- Kudos to everyone in the Canadian Lentils Recipe Contest! I think we are all worthy lentil ambassadors and we all deserve a celebratory event hosted and catered by celebrity chef Michael Smith.