“A” is for apple and perfect marks—apples are perfect fruits for caramelizing alongside onions. Coincidence? I think not. If you want to try a lighter onion soup than the traditional French variety, this one will thrill your tastebuds.
If you want traditional French onion soup with a twist, cover the crisped bread on your Apple Onion Soup with Thyme with this Canadian cheese named best in the world.
Apple Onion Soup with Thyme
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 4-5 c soup stock
- 2 T dry red wine
- 1 T fresh thyme leaves, plus a few leaves sprinkled on as garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, apples and salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes, until onions and apples are well caramelized. Stir in broth, wine, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf and adjust seasoning. Sprinkle on a few thyme leaves before serving. Serves 8.
- Thanks to my gourmet foodie friend, Susan Kasner, for sharing the Apple Onion Soup recipe that she discovered in Leite’s Culinaria.
- Apple Onion Soup with Thyme reminds me of an old jovial acquaintance in the wholesale fruit and vegetable world, Moe Fleishman, who ate onions like they were apples. According to modern science, he may have been onto something.
- Want to know where to find the cheese named the best in the world?
- I’ve been sneaking miso into all sorts of recipes lately and loving the flavour. If you love salt like I do, but don’t want the health risk, consider the fact that the strong salt flavour in miso is deemed OK.
- Have you seen these 3 easy-to-make soup recipes? One of them is a Miso Soup.
- Appalachian Onion Soup (thehungrybelgian.com)
- French Onion Soup (totgpgh.wordpress.com)
- Low Cal French Onion Soup 😀 (skinnywithlisa.com)
- Roasted tomato, onion and thyme soup (tinycooknkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Classically Delicious French Onion Soup (weightloss.answers.com)
- French Onion Soup baked in a Pumpkin (joyfulhealthyeats.com)
- Soup of the week: Grated onion soup (simplycalledfood.com)