Call me a vegan ignoramus. I had no idea that vegan recipes could be just as enticing as real food. Mark Bittman endorses VB6 or Vegan Before Six. He lost 30 pounds rather quickly on his quirky plan that allows for cheating. He endorses a more plant-based diet. So do I.
I attended Appetite for Books‘ book launch featuring Mérida Anderson, author of “Vegan Secret Supper.” Mérida was charming, her food samples were superb, and with no intention of buying anything, I hastily scooped up one of her books. I am on the list to be informed of Mérida’s upcoming “secret” suppers, and I have every intention of attending. I’ll eat VBefore or after 6 if Mérida is cooking. Lucky for you, Mérida agreed to let me post some of her recipes on Jittery Cook.
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 t each ground cumin, cinnamon
- 1 1/2 t ground coriander
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 T finely chopped ginger
- 4 c peeled, cubed yams
- 1/3 c cashew butter (The original recipe calls for organic, smooth peanut butter.)
- 1 c coconut milk
- 6 c water or soup stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 c lightly toasted coconut flakes (optional)
- a few cilantro leaves as garnish
In a large soup pot on medium-high heat, add spices and pepper flakes to melted coconut oil. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, then add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic and ginger, cooking for 2 minutes, then add yam. Add a little soup stock to prevent burning or sticking. Whisk cashew butter and coconut milk in a bowl until smooth. Add to yams along with the rest of the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, simmering for 15 minutes. Use a processor to purée until smooth. Add lime juice and sprinkle with coconut before serving. Serves 8-10.
- Here’s a short, interesting video with vegan, anti-cancer diet leanings.
- I’m not going to lie to you–This is not a diet recipe. But it is tasty.
- Big news around here–Get Stuffed, starring my lovely step-daughter Erin Simms, got picked up by National Geographic. Fame and notoriety!
- Coconut curry eggplant with roasted cashews (oursisterkitchens.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup – Recipes From the Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Creamy Mushroom Soup with Cashew Cream (mrandmrsvegan.wordpress.com)
- Tomato Thai Soup (annashortcakes.wordpress.com)
- Cashew Chicken (paleogolly.wordpress.com)
- Golden Cauliflower Soup (happyveganmom.wordpress.com)
- South Indian chicken curry with cashews and spicy peas (theswindian.wordpress.com)