Famous people are afoot. While it might be lovely to meet them one-on-one, I can’t seem to get motivated to pay to see famous people on stage in a large venue when they’ve already been present for years on my home TV. I’ll trust the reviewers, friends and acquaintances to let me know if they’ve said anything new of great interest. Anybody going to hear Anthony Bourdain speak? I’ll be waiting for your second-hand news.
And, speaking of second hand…got any veggies lurking about looking to be repurposed? My chef-sister Julia knows a few tricks that will turn your veggies into beautiful meals. Anthony Bourdain, would you like to join us for Julia’s Roasted Veggies Frittata?
Julia’s Roasted Veggie Frittata
- a medley of veggies roasted at 420F for 15 minutes with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and black pepper: broccoli, asparagus, eggplant, tomatoes (small ones whole or medium-sized, halved). Roast garlic cloves an extra 5 minutes until golden and softened. (If you make too many veggies, just add them to salads, sandwiches and grain recipes.)
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 oz grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 1 oz grated Parmesan
- 1/2 c chopped parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1/2 c chopped scallions
Preheat the oven to 400F. Using your pre-roasted veggies, slice one eggplant and 8 large asparagus–reserving three for the top. Cut the well-roasted garlic cloves in half. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with the eggplant, asparagus, broccoli and garlic. Distribute blobs of goat cheese. Sprinkle on the cheddar.
Add the scallions, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper to the beaten eggs in a medium sized bowl. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the veggies. Insert the tomatoes and lay down the three asparagus spears.
Top with the grated parmesan. Roast at 400F for 15 minutes. Serves 4-6.
- I’m off on my self-guided French Immersion Week in Montreal, starting out at La Grande Bibliothèque. Have any suggestions–Movies, books, events…?
- Protein Rich Veggie Frittata (afternoondlite.com)
- Chicken and Veggie Frittata (great for all phases) (thetalkingscale.typepad.com)
- to do: make a frittata (holeinthepearl.wordpress.com)
- Asparagus and Scallion Frittata Frittata con asparagi e scalogna (wnyc.org)
- Roasted potato frittata with onions and peppers (treehugger.com)