There is something about breakfast that’s full of promise. A new beginning to a new day. Anything is possible. Right? This wonder of a breakfast recipe was worth every bit of effort. Use up leftover mashed potatoes, or make a batch just for the pleasure of eating Poached Egg on Baked Mashed Potato.
Poached Egg on Baked Mashed Potato
- 2-3 c mashed potatoes
- 4 oz baby spinach; rinse then wilt by heating briefly in a pan, stirring in a little salt and pepper; drain
- 2 onions, thinly sliced and caramelized in a bit of olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves minced (Add to onions once they begin to caramelize)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 c grated cheddar cheese
- 4 poached eggs
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced, sautéed in a little olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine the mashed potatoes with the caramelized onion and cheese. Season to taste. Separate the potato mixture into 4 nests, so that the poached eggs will fit inside. Bake on a baking pan lined with parchment paper for 15 minutes or until hot. Slide each potato nest onto a heated plate (you can heat the plates in the microwave for a minute) using a large spatula. Place the poached eggs in the center and the cooked spinach on the side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Garnish with mushrooms. Serves 4.
Poached Egg on Baked Mashed Potato Print Ready Recipe
- Here’s a simple technique for making mashed potatoes without loads of butter and cream.
- Who knew that I’d have so much breakfast advice to offer? Today’s post makes a total of 18 JC Breakfasts. My favorite number.
- Congratulations to Kate McClurg for winning the Jittery Cook draw. Kate won tote bags and chocolate covered cacao nibs.
- Take a moment to email me your favourite recipe. You could be the next winner!
- crash potatoes and poached eggs … it’s what’s for breakfast (omamas.com)
- So Loaded (chefsopinion.org)
- Twice-baked potatoes doubly delicious (knoxnews.com)
[…] Baked Egg on Hash Browns Smoked Salmon Tower of Brunch Poached Egg on Baked Mashed Potato Swiss Chard Burger Coconut Jam French Toast with Fresh Berries Parsley Omelet with Smoked Salmon […]
[…] Poached Egg on Baked Mashed Potatoes from Jittery Cook […]