Are you a carbahoilic? a carbphobic? or maybe secretly both? There are good carbs and bad carbs. Read all about it on Web MD.
And while you’re mulling over carb conundrums, make yourself a bowl of super healthy, ready in a jiffy, good carb oat bran. According to health journalist Harriet Sugar Miller, oat bran’s the healthiest breakfast grain, even better than traditional oatmeal.
Oat Bran Breakfast
- 1 c water, boiling, with a pinch of sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 c oat bran
- 1/2 c mixed berries or your favorite fruit
- 2-3 T seeds or nuts: pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, lightly roasted pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts
- 1 heaping t each: ground flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds
- 1 T dried fruit: cherries, goji berries, apricots, figs
- 1 T maple syrup (optional)
Add the oat bran to the boiling water. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Pour cooked oat bran over the other dry ingredients. Mix everything and top with maple syrup, if you need the extra sweetness. This single serving will keep you full and energetic for hours.
- What the heck is oat bran anyway? According to The World’s Healthiest Foods, oat bran is the outer layer of the grain that resides under the hull. Oat bran is found in rolled oats and steel-cut oats, or it may also be purchased as a separate product and cooked into a hot cereal. Now if I could just figure out what a hull is…
- The Harvard School of Good Health weighs in with a Good Carb Guide.
- Dietician Leslie Beck explains that because of oat bran’s exceptionally high fibre content, it can be considered a whole grain. Her Oat Bran Nutrition Notes are interesting reading.
- Have you met Robyn O’Brien, the Erin Brockovitch of food? Are you concerned with GMOs and committed to going organic?
- You can share your carb point of view in the comments below.