I thought I was having an epiphany. I was thinking what a great idea it is to write your own obituary and how I could create a website, kind of like an on-line safety deposit, just for autobiographical obituaries. There are already over 2 million sites related to writing your own obit and a few that will store them. Perhaps mine can include recipes to share from beyond?
This Asian Zucchini Salad recipe combines flavourless grape seed oil with super-smokey sesame seed oil. If you sprout your own mung beans, give yourself 4-5 days head start.
Asian Zucchini Salad
- 4 medium zucchini, finely grated, all the liquid removed
- 2-3 c sprouted mung beans (click here for sprouting instructions)
- 2/3 c fennel, thinly sliced (or substitute celery)
- 1/2 c chopped coriander
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c roasted peanuts
- 1/4 c toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/8 c toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 c toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2-3 T grape seed oil (adjust to your taste)
- 3-5 T unseasoned rice vinegar, the one with the green cap and label (adjust to your taste)
- 2 t sesame oil
- 11/2 t sea salt
Toast seeds and peanuts in a 350F oven until they brown a little. In a small bowl, mix the oils, vinegar and salt. Taste to adjust for acidity.
Combine the green ingredients just before serving. Mix zucchini, sprouts, scallions, fennel and coriander in a medium-large bowl. Toss well, but gently, with the dressing. Arrange on a large platter. Scatter the nuts and seeds on top for a lovely presentation. Just before the first person digs in, gently fold in the nuts and seeds to mix them in with the other ingredients.
- If you still have zucchini to cook, have a look at these Zucchini Fritters from Jeanettes Healthy Living.
- Check out Planned Departure as a cyber-place to store your vital info.
- Thanks to Anne, the splendid chef from Centre Tara, for divulging the ingredients to this wonderful dish.
- Thanks to the Richardson gang for tasting and liking Asian Zucchini Salad. I hope the Shri yoga group will let me know if it holds a candle to Anne’s version.
- When is the last time you had truffle oil? The Truffle Oil Salmon Tartar at Lemeac is to die for. Got some new and unusual way to feature truffle oil in a jittery recipe?
- Zucchini Variations (talesofambrosia.com)
- Cooking 101 | Satisfying meal takes raw ingredients beyond green salad (kansascity.com)
- If you thought that salad was pretty.. (nikkiinhighgear.wordpress.com)
- Finally, a zucchini recipe to get excited about (miamiherald.com)
- 26 ways to use zucchini (rapidcityjournal.com)
- Quinoa stuffed zucchini (food-for-thought.me)