Everything in life seems to ebb and flow. It’s the life-tide: feel great, feeling blue. Full of energy, totally spent. Creative jolts, empty-headed. Young today, not so much tomorrow. The passage of time restores the ups that I crave with rhythmic regularity. Much like appreciating changing seasons, lows give me perspective.
Each Jittery Cook recipe comes together on a high; some, like this Caramelized Pumpkinseed Pear and Pomegranate Big Salad take careful planning.
Search for pomegranate molasses in a Middle Eastern market. Caramelize your pumpkinseeds in advance. Allow your pears a few days to ripen. Preparation builds expectation and excitement. The reward–priceless. The salad dressing alone is worth reproducing over and over.
Caramelized Pumpkinseed Ingredients:
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c raw pumpkinseeds
- 2 T brown sugar (or coconut sugar crystals)
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1/4 t cumin
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1 t sea salt
Heat the tablespoon of olive oil over high heat for 1 minute in a medium non-stick skillet. Add the pumpkinseeds, and toss in the pan until the seeds are popping and browning, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and add the brown sugar, tossing continuously to coat the seeds (Careful: It will burn easily). Quickly mix in chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of the salt, then spread the mixture on a plate. Let cool completely, and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week until ready to use.
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 T fresh mint (optional)
- 2 T pomegranate molasses (also called pomegranate paste)
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t honey
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/4 c pumpkin seed or olive oil
In a food processor, mince the garlic and mint. Add the pomegranate juice, lemon juice, honey and salt, and pulse to mix. With the machine running, gradually drizzle in oil. The dressing is thick, but manages to coat the salad ingredients perfectly.
- seeds of 1 small pomegranate
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce, washed, dried and cut in 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 2 small scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 large Bosc pears, sliced
- 4 oz pecorino cheese, sliced
Arrange the lettuce, scallions, pears and cheese. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and top with the pomegranate seeds and pumpkinseeds. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
- Thanks to Helen Lewis for loaning me Robin Asbell‘s New Vegetarian book. This is my new favorite salad - totally worth the effort.
- While the arrangement above looks super, you should quickly toss the salad in a big bowl before serving to coat all the ingredients with the unique & tangy dressing.
- Watch for the upcoming recipe2recipe contest this week.
- Let me know if this salad contributes to your personal high.
- Fix Me Pumpkinseed Salad by GreenChef Sarma Melngailis (gliving.com)
- Vinaigrette, 4 Ways (williams-sonoma.com)
- Spinach, Fennel, and Pear Salad with Brown Butter Hazelnuts (savorysaltysweet.com)
- Kale Salad with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes (dishesanddishes.wordpress.com)