Kale is here to stay and this Kale Waldorf Salad is the proof in the pudding — no mayo, no oil, purely and simply the best salad, with OMGoodness! If you’re one of those kale haters, then just substitute your favourite greens. Get ready for a wonderful taste sensation and a mighty healthy treat.
Wondering where this Kale Waldorf Salad recipe came from? Abigail Nagorski whipped up a bowlful in a Meatless Monday cooking demonstration class at Whole Foods Market in Boca Raton.
Kale Waldorf Salad
- 4 c finely chopped kale, preferably dinosaur kale, stems finely chopped
- 1 large red apple, or 2 small ones, chopped, divided
- 1 c thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 c lightly toasted chopped walnuts, divided into two 1/4 cup portions
- 1/4 c plus 2 tablespoons raisins or mulberries
- 2 T each Dijon mustard, water
- 1 T vinegar, red wine, cider or rice
- 1/8 t sea salt
In a large bowl, combine the kale, half the apple, celery, half the walnuts and 1/4 cup of the raisins or berries.
In a blender, purée the remainder of the apple, walnuts, raisins, mustard vinegar and salt.
Toss the salad with the dressing. Serves 4, but you’ll wish you were just 2.