If you asked me what was the one constant, healing, feel-good meal that’s sustained me day in and day out for the past 18 months, I’d tell you about my Homemade Muesli Breakfast. And I’m not alone. I’ve gotten quite a few enthusiasts happily following the muesli mania. Muesli energizes while it satisfies, and the garnishes vary so you’ll never get bored. As a bonus, when you’re traveling, it’s easy to measure out a few portions and take them along.
There are two other Jittery Cook muesli recipes on the blog (Spirit Lifter, Multiple Gurus) – but this is the first big batch recipe. Hooray for time saving!
Homemade Muesli Breakfast
- 6 c rolled oats, (used 1/2 oat flakes, 1/2 spelt flakes)
- 1 1/2 c walnuts, (broken up a little after measuring)
- 1/2 c each slivered almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, cacao nibs
Mix Homemade Muesli Breakfast ingredients in a large bowl, then store in one or two sealed bags or a container. Mix well before serving to evenly distribute ingredients. Recipe makes 24 servings.
Note: You can substitute goji berries, mulberries, dried cherries or dried blueberries for raisins – and sunflower seeds for pumpkin seeds.
Homemade Muesli Breakfast Garnishes
- dried prune, quartered
- 1/2 – 1 oz Nature’s Path Heritage flakes, Kamut or Oat Bran
- chopped fresh seasonal fruit: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, pear, apple, banana, peach, nectarine, mango, papaya, pitted cherries, orange, mandarin or grapefruit
- yogurt or milk
Homemade Muesli Breakfast Print Ready Recipe
- The first time I remember eating muesli was eons ago in some European hotel breakfast buffet. I wasn’t overly impressed with the dry flakes and lack of flavour. It took years of experimenting to perfect the ideal Homemade Muesli Breakfast.
- There are many types of flakes that you can combine in muesli.
- Read all about it – the history and health benefits of muesli and how Switzerland transformed breakfast.
- After extensive research I’ve located The international Muesli Community on FaceBook. Don’t get too excited – there are only 5 members.
Carolyn L Ward says
Thanks for some ideas. I make overnight oatmeal with milk and add different ingredients weekly.
Jittery Cook says
Yum. I do love overnight oatmeal.
Marcia Saipe says
I have been looking for an easy and healthy breakfast. Thanks! Always great to hear from you! Marcia
Jittery Cook says
Same hear Marcia! Long overdue for a reunion. Hope you enjoy Homemade Muesli.
Mobasir hassan says
Truly appreciate the way you made this delicious homemade muesli. Everything is so nicely described that really helped me. I am looking forward for more such yummy recipes in future too.