When it comes to pesto, my mom was an early adopter — it became popular outside of Italy in the eighties and nineties. We craved her spaghetti with pesto, She kept large pots of sweet-smelling basil on the balcony and whipped up Genovese style pesto, adding garlic, olive oil, pine nuts and plenty of Parmesan.
Today’s pesto is far from traditional. Get out your food processor, and let’s embrace the new decade with this Arugula Roasted Pumpkin Seed Pesto — a versatile condiment.
Arugula Roasted Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 4 oz arugula
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c roasted pumpkin seeds
- olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
With your food processor running, drop in garlic cloves and allow them to get minced. Add pumpkin seeds and arugula and run processor while drizzling in olive oil until ingredients are just blended, not puréed. Season with salt and pepper.
Arugula Roasted Pumpkin Seed Pesto Serving Suggestions:
- Serve a dollop of pesto with spinach and ricotta stuffed ravioli.
- Top Mary’s Seed Crackers with a smear of goat cheese and pesto.
- Use pesto as a condiment for eggs hardboiled, scrambled or omelet.
- Coat your favourite pasta, zoodles or spaghetti squash noodles with pesto, with grated Parmesan on the side.
- Dress up a sandwich or wrap with pesto to give it that je ne sais quoi factor.
- Use pesto and some vinegar as dressing for a delectable salad.
- Did you know that Mary’s Seed Crackers have been spotted in oh so many flavours? Classic, Everything, Lemon Dill, Rosemary, Lemon Lime, Chia & Hemp, Basil & Garlic, Seaweed & Black Sesame, Herb and Jalapeño. Try a few when you long for something crunchy but want to resist potato chips.
- Warning: Do not attempt to use pesto in a dessert recipe.
- Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!