Imagine your mouth filled with lemon juice — not a pleasant thought. Now add a good deal of ginger — nope, still unpleasant. But what if you balance the sour and sharp flavours with sweetness?
First time around, I used a full cup of honey; second batch, only a quarter of a cup. I prefer the latter, slightly sour version. Consider this Honey Lemon Ginger Tea a work in progress. Start with the recipe below and tweak ‘til you arrive at the perfect balance for your own palate.
Honey Lemon Ginger Tea
- 8 oz organic lemon juice
- 1/4 c raw honey (or more, depending on your personal sweet tooth)
- 1 1/2 T minced ginger (I used the Ginger People’s jarred type, which is preserved with sugar and rice vinegar.)
- 1 c water
- Perrier or club soda, optional
In a Vitamix or blender, combine lemon juice, honey, ginger and water and blend for 30 seconds. Refrigerate, then serve Honey Lemon Ginger Tea over ice. Can be diluted with water, Perrier or Club Soda. Refreshing! Serves 4 – 6.
Honey Lemon Ginger Tea can also be enjoyed as a hot drink. Dilute with boiling hot water and serve.
For adults only: HLGT can be also be diluted with vodka, gin or other spirits!
- Honey Lemon Ginger Tea is brought to you by my very dear friend Mindy Theroux, who discovered it at Esselon Cafe. Mindy offered me a HLGT and I said no thanks, but then I said OK and now I have a new favourite beverage.
- Here are 7 benefits of lemon water, 11 of ginger and 6 of raw honey That’s a lot of benefits in one little glass.
- Wanna know the 10 healthiest beverages other than water?
- If you think a cuppa Honey Lemon Ginger Tea could make you happy, listen to Emmy Raviv sing her Lemon Ginger Honey song and see if she could make you happy too.