Imagine your mouth filled with lemon juice — not a pleasant thought. Now add a good deal of ginger — nope, still unpleasant. But what if you balance the sour and sharp flavours with sweetness?
First time around, I used a full cup of honey; second batch, only a quarter of a cup. I prefer the latter, slightly sour version. Consider this Honey Lemon Ginger Tea a work in progress. Start with the recipe below and tweak ‘til you arrive at the perfect balance for your own palate.
Honey Lemon Ginger Tea
- 8 oz organic lemon juice
- 1/4 c raw honey (or more, depending on your personal sweet tooth)
- 1 1/2 T minced ginger (I used the Ginger People’s jarred type, which is preserved with sugar and rice vinegar.)
- 1 c water
- Perrier or club soda, optional
In a Vitamix or blender, combine lemon juice, honey, ginger and water and blend for 30 seconds. Refrigerate, then serve Honey Lemon Ginger Tea over ice. Can be diluted with water, Perrier or Club Soda. Refreshing! Serves 4 – 6.
Honey Lemon Ginger Tea can also be enjoyed as a hot drink. Dilute with boiling hot water and serve.
For adults only: HLGT can be also be diluted with vodka, gin or other spirits!
Honey Lemon Ginger Tea Print Ready Recipe
- Honey Lemon Ginger Tea is brought to you by my very dear friend Mindy Theroux, who discovered it at Esselon Cafe. Mindy offered me a HLGT and I said no thanks, but then I said OK and now I have a new favourite beverage.
- Here are 7 benefits of lemon water, 11 of ginger and 6 of raw honey That’s a lot of benefits in one little glass.
- Wanna know the 10 healthiest beverages other than water?
- If you think a cuppa Honey Lemon Ginger Tea could make you happy, listen to Emmy Raviv sing her Lemon Ginger Honey song and see if she could make you happy too.
I love seeing this on the BLOG! My favorite HLG. It is true that we all have different delight and tolerance for each flavor: sweet, tart, and pungent! I would love to hear what others love!
I bet much variation. JT loves it sweeter than I !
Jittery Cook says
I also love a sweeter version. But the tart, spicy, peppery taste is amazing when you hold back on the honey. Thanks for bringing us this wonderful HLGT Mindy!
Louise Hebert says
I make a similar beverage with fresh ginger, fresh lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. Add ice and water for a very refreshing summer drink!!
Your recipe would be great served hot when you suffer from a cold!! I’ll have to try it both, cold and hot!
P.S. I love Emmy Raviv’s voice!
Jittery Cook says
I still can’t believe how perfectly Emmy’s song goes with this Honey Lemon Ginger Tea recipe.
I tried HLGT cold and hot today. Both ways are delish. Here’s hoping I manage to hold on to the enamel on my teeth.
Sounds like your recipe is very similar. There’s some vinegar in the Ginger People jarred minced ginger that I used.