Adventures may be rewarding but there’s something comforting in repeating rituals and revisiting haunts, both geographic and culinary. Early food memories stay with us throughout our lives, and those who make it their business to feed us deserve a special place in heaven.
When I was a kid, Mom went out of her way to make us snacks that were satisfying and simple — like celery sticks stuffed with peanut butter or cream cheese. While I’m not adventurous or nostalgic enough to sample either of those snacks again, Mom’s Cottage Cheese Grapefruit Bowl is another story. Layered with pleasing flavours, it kept hunger at bay between meals, every bite wonderfully sweet, sour, smooth and a little crunchy. For the best taste and mouthfeel, use at least 2% cottage cheese and yogurt.
Cottage Cheese Grapefruit Bowl
- 3 T 2% cottage cheese
- 2 T 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 pink grapefruit, supremed
- 2 t sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 2 t dried mulberries or raisins
- 7 – 8 raw cashews (optional)
- 2 – 3 t pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 1 T toasted coconut chips (optional)
In a medium-sized bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir to combine flavours. Add a splash of grapefruit juice to thin if desired. Serve with a slice of toast or some crackers. Perfect for snack time, breakfast, lunch or a post too many rich meals mini dinner. Serves 1.
- Happy New Year everyone! Hope 2018 is a turning point for the better.
- Do you have time to listen to the 50 best albums or the 100 best songs of 2017?
- Would you rather check out 10 best books or 100 notable books of 2017?
- How many of these 100 movies to see did you watch in 2017?
- Care to read up on current culture? Here are the best artists of 2017.
- Wondering where to travel to? How about these 30 cheapest or the world’s 30 best vacation spots? Or, if you’re staying home, we can dance around the world together.