It isn’t every day that friends sleep over, but lately my friend Mimi’s been staying with us and she brought her treasured recipe collection. Turkey Meatballs Marinara spoke to me, and Mimi cooked them up, making it look like a breeze. I didn’t have to get jittery; Mimi was a tad though, over the amount of sauce, but it turned out perfectly.
Turkey Meatballs Marinara
Turkey Meatballs Marinara Sauce
- 1 – 2 onions, diced
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 bell pepper, diced (preferably green)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 2 T ketchup
- 1 t maple syrup, or brown sugar
- 1/3 c water
In a large pan, or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion for 5 minutes to soften. Add remaining ingredients and simmer while you make the meatballs.
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 slices challah, soaked in water, squeezed out and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt and freshly grated black pepper
In a large bowl, combine ingredients. Roll small 1-inch meatballs and drop into sauce. Simmer covered for 1 hour. Serves 4 – 6. Serve with orzo and peas.
- Truth be told, we sampled the Turkey Meatballs Marinara prepared with a cup of ketchup, and it was delicious, but too sweet for my taste, hence the switch to a cup of marinara sauce.
- Giada has a classic take on turkey meatballs.
- Kitchn‘s turkey meatballs are served over greens.
- Here are 40 mouthwatering meatball recipes.
- Have you seen the classic Meatballs movie? Or the animated Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs?