Truth be told, I’m lazy. I have a minimal amount of energy that I need to spend carefully — to accomplish tasks and to enjoy living. If there’s a quick and easy way to get dinner on the table, I’m in.
The Instant Pot is feeding my slothful ways. It’s like having a clever helper working away while I attend to other duties. This Cauliflower Black Bean Soup uses the slow cooker function and virtually cooks itself. Not one to exaggerate, I admit: I stirred it once.
Cauliflower Black Bean Soup – Diced Avocado Garnish
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cauliflower, cut bite-sized
- 4 new potatoes, peeled, cut bite-sized
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c soup stock (organic chicken bone broth used here)
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 t Vegeta seasoning, or your favourite seasoning
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14-oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 refrigerated avocados, diced just before serving to preserve colour
In your Instant Pot or slow cooker, add all ingredients except the beans and the avocado. Set the timer for 7 hours on low heat. If using an Instant Pot, set the release valve to venting. Serve soup hot, garnished with black beans and avocado. The cold, creamy avocado makes a wonderful contrast to the hot luscious soup.
- I like to ripen my avocados on the countertop, then store them in the refrigerator until I need them. They keep a long time and are ready when I am.
- Wondering what black beans might do to boost your health?
- Looking for a farfetched romance to keep you laughing out loud while dinner cooks itself? Try Catastrophe. It’s ridiculous, but totally engaging. Season 1 got 100% on the tomatometer and season 2 was said to be the best show on Amazon.