Out of 250 creative, tasty recipes Judith Finlayson’s Chile Pepper Bible has given me 52 for my to-do list. 52? How to choose? This is no ordinary cookbook. It’s a well researched reference book with details on history, geography and the heat of chilies.
Call me confused, but I’m still having as much trouble retaining the differences in chile pepper varieties as I have with the rules of bridge. Hopefully, my chile pepper fog will turn to hot, clear and sunny once I complete the recipe double marathon.
(Disclaimer: This book was sent to JC for review. The opinions expressed are genuine.)
Jamaican-Style Fish Cakes
- 1 lb cod, cooked, cooled, broken into chunks
- 1 1/2 c mashed cooked potatoes
- 1/4 c cilantro leaves
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 habanero or Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 1 t salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c cornstarch or potato starch
- 1/2 c breadcrumbs or panko
- 2 T olive oil, per batch
- mayonnaise and lime wedges as garnish (optional)
In a food processor, combine cilantro, scallions, habanero pepper and garlic and pulse to chop, scraping down the sides as required. Add egg, zest, juice, salt and pepper. Pulse 2 – 3 times to blend. Add fish and pulse 5 – 6 times to blend. Do not purée. Add mashed potatoes and pulse 5 – 6 times to blend.
Spread cornstarch in a shallow bowl. With greased hands form 6 patties in a ball shape, then roll in cornstarch to coat. Flatten slightly and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm patties.
Spread breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. With greased hands, flatten patties and press into crumbs on both sides.
In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat, add 3 patties at a time and cook 4 minutes per side until browned and crisp. Serve warm, garnished with mayonnaise and lime wedges. Beyond delicious. Serves 6.
- I’ve been sold on Judith Finlayson ever since a CBC radio show talked up slow cookers and her slow cooker cookbooks.
- It’s mid-winter and what better time to dream of Jamaica and its beaches, palm trees and the warm blue Caribbean sea?
- Find out about Jamaica’s new style vacations, beyond the beach and for those of you short on time, a 36 hour Jamaican travel plan.