I bit the bullet and bought an Instant Pot on Black Friday. It wasn’t the latest model and it wasn’t the larger size I was advised to buy, but it was over 60% off and I can rarely resist a bargain. Out came Marilyn Haugen‘s 175 Best Instant Pot Recipes cookbook, and lo and behold I’m starting each day with 3 minute steel-cut oats.
This Easy Beer Veggie Soup warmed the cockles of my book club buddies at our holiday potluck dinner. The recipe is a jittery version of Haugen’s Broccoli and Beer Cheese Soup. You can whip this up in no time — even if you use a regular pot.
Easy Veggie Beer Soup
- 2 T butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 broccoli, florets only cut bite-sized
- 1 cauliflower, florets only cut bite-sized
- 4 t dry mustard
- 2 t kosher salt
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 5 c soup stock
- 3 t Worcestershire sauce
- 2 c grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 12 oz can lager-style beer, at room temperature
- sliced scallions as garnish
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add onions, and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent. Add carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, dry mustard, salt, pepper, stock and Worcestershire sauce, stirring well. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Add beer and cheese, stirring to combine. Garnish with scallions. Serves 6 – 8.
- Wondering what to make in your slow cooker? Check out these 10 awesome blogger’s most popular slow cooker recipes.
- Know what shows you may want to see over the holidays? Here’s Rotten Tomatoes 100 best of 2016, or Netflix’s 100 best movies of 2016 and absolute best TV shows streaming right now.
- Need to be entertained while cooking or knitting? Listen to NYT’s best new podcasts of 2016.
- Tired of screen time? Curl up with a good book, maybe one of Globe’s 100 best of 2016.
- Looking for something that combines entertaining and learning? Check the best Ted Talks of 2016 and watch Carl Safina‘s ‘What are animals thinking and feeling?’