I waffle. I research, then I waffle some more. It seems that there’s a huge contingent of people, you know who you are, who are majorly in love with their Instant Pots. Then there’s those of us who scratch our heads in wonder. Really? A complex, countertop appliance that pressure cooks, slow cooks, makes rice, makes porridge, sautees, and makes yogurt–all in one? When I agreed to review 175 Best Instant Pot Recipes by Marilyn Haugen, I already had the Instant Pot on my wish list. My lovely friend, Mindy Theroux, told me that it was a life altering magic pot that I shouldn’t live without.
I’m still waffling. Meanwhile, I snatched this Asian Style Lettuce Wrap recipe from Haugen’s book. Cooked it up in my slow cooker, and lo and behold, it’s easier and tastier than a piece of cake.
Asian Style Lettuce Wrap
Slow Cooker Asian Style Meat
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lean beef, chicken or turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 6 oz can whole water chestnuts, drained, finely chopped
- 1 T ground ginger
- 1 T coconut or brown sugar
- 1 t hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 c hoisin sauce
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 T rice vinegar
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours, stirring once or twice. Test for doneness by checking to make sure meat is all browned.
Asian Style Lettuce Wrap
- 1 Boston or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- Slow Cooker Asian Style Meat
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
Serve meat in lettuce leaves garnished with scallions and carrots. Get creative by adding cooked rice noodles, mint leaves and cilantro sprigs. Go free-style by tossing ingredients and eating it like a salad. Don’t blame me if you feel like you’re having dessert for dinner. It’s a mighty tantalizing combo of flavours. Serves 4-6.
- Ran out to my neighborhood PA Supermarket for water chestnuts and carrots, arrived home to see that I was out of hoisin sauce! Saved by the Google substitute query, I made homemade hoisin sauce. It’s spectacular!
- I’ve read through 175 Best Instant Pot Recipes by Marilyn Haugen twice and find it very well written, easy to follow and, yes, I’m going to say it, inspirational. Kudos to Haugen for reading my mind and helping me to overcome my waffling syndrome.
- True confession, I love Asian Style Lettuce Wraps. When I’m at The Cheesecake Factory I can pass up on cheesecake, but must order their Asian Style Lettuce Wrap. Got the same wonderful buzz from Haugen’s version.
- Click on Asian Style Lettuce Wrap Print Ready Recipe for the Instant Pot cooking instructions, if, lucky you, you’ve purchased one.