It could hit you any time of day. You need a quick pick me up, and you want to feel full, not heavy. You want something healthy, but luscious. And you want it now — something you can throw together in minutes or even seconds. It’ll take a little advance planning. Good things usually do.
After years of experimenting, of tweaking ingredients and combinations, I’ve found a fantastic Jittery Snack Attack, and it’s too good not to share. First things first. Head on over to the dollar store and get yourself a dozen teeny-tiny containers that look like single portion ketchup containers. Next, stock up on the following Jittery Snack Attack ingredients:
Nibs: cacao nibs
Try not to fret over the price. In the portion sizes you’ll be ingesting, these jewels will last you a long, long time.
For months, every time I wanted a teaspoon of each ingredient, I schlepped all ten of them out of my cupboard or refrigerator, opening and closing each container one at a time. Then I had an epiphany. Prepare ye a bunch of small packages in advance. That’s the way to manage time and control portions for your next attack.
Jittery Snack Attack
- 1 t each chia seeds, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, golden berries, ground flaxseed
- 1 t pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds
- 1 t goji berries and/or mulberries
- 2-3 pecan halves, crumbled
Measure ingredients into tiny, single portion containers and store in the refrigerator.
Jittery Snack Attack Serving Suggestions
- Serve with fresh or cooked fruit and 2% Greek or regular yogurt. Optional: Add 2 teaspoons of raw oat bran.
- Serve with fresh fruit and cooked steel-cut or regular oatmeal.
- Take two slices of healthy bread, coat them with a thin layer of almond butter, add a handful of blueberries, sprinkle on Jittery Snack Attack and close up into a sandwich. Delish!
- Microwave an overripe, peeled banana for 1 – 2 minutes on a covered plate. Sprinkle on Jittery Snack Attack and add a dollop of 2% Greek or regular yogurt. Heavenly!
- As an added bonus, this Jittery Snack Attack will make you mighty regular, if you catch my drift.
- I’m quite certain that there’s a profit to be made in the rendering of this recipe, but it won’t be mine, unfortunately. Anyone care to try? I’ll accept royalties for the name.
- Real Simple has 19 healthy snack ideas.
- I want to live in a world where the only significant attacks are against hunger, poverty, disease and injustice. Don’t you?