I remember the Passover seders of my youth. Macho matzoh balls you could bounce faced off over delicate ones that melted in your mouth. One bubbie was a hard-nosed businesswoman; the other, a devoted and talented cook. Neither would have dreamed of following her traditional soup with a recipe like Orange Scented Kale Salad with Smoky Chickpea Croutons.
Once again we have Abigail Nagorski from Farmer’s Table to thank for this outstanding combination of flavours. Kale salads lasts for days in the fridge. Oh, and the Smoky Chickpea Croutons make a great snack even if you’ve no interest in kale salad.
Orange Scented Kale Salad with Smoky Chickpea Croutons
- 2 oranges, 1 zested, segmented
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 carrots julienned or grated
- 1 bunch kale, stems finely chopped if not too tough, leaves bite sized and massaged
- 1/4 c thinly sliced basil
- 1/2 c pistachios whole or roughly chopped (Can substitute walnuts, cashews, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.)
- Smoky Chickpea Croutons
In a large bowl, mix orange segments, zest, mustard and vinegar. Add onion, and mix, then layer on kale stems, carrot, kale and basil. Toss with nuts before serving. Garnish each serving with Smoky Chickpea Croutons. Serves 6.
Smoky Chickpea Croutons
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas, well rinsed and well-drained
- 1 T olive oil (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed and chopped or grated on a microplane
- 1 t smoked paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine all ingredients, then spread out on a baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, shaking pan at halftime. Remove from oven when golden and crispy. Cool. Can be made in advance and stored in a covered jar.
- Happy Passover to everyone who celebrates. Will you be sticking with tradition or making newfangled recipes at your seder?
- How about this modern Passover meal? It looks spectacular.
- Here’s a Passover song from Dayenu Productions that you can play while the matzoh balls are bobbling.