There are people with the foresight to invest in precious metals, stocks or bonds at just the right moment. I see gold in fruits and vegetables. My idea of a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow is a wonderful salad. Toss in a fantastic kitchen tool that makes slicing a breeze, and we’re talking jackpot. Microplane makes a slicer-julienne gizmo that will have you serving Paper-Thin Cucumber Salad with Rainbow Garnish lickety-split.
Paper-Thin Cucumber Salad with Rainbow Garnish
- 2 Israeli cucumbers, sliced paper-thin (or 1 English cucumber)
- 2 large radish, sliced paper-thin (Grab the leaves as a handle.)
- 1 dry shallot, sliced, paper-thin (Grab outer layer of peeled-back skin as a handle.)
- 3 T chopped dill
- 1 T sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 T seasoned rice vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Toss all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Serve Paper-Thin Cucumber Salad on a platter, surrounded by Rainbow Garnish. Serves 6-8. Tastes great leftover.
- 1/2 c each julienned carrot, zucchini
- 1/2 each red, orange and yellow pepper, sliced paper-thin
- 2 T chopped parsley
- 1 T seasoned rice vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium-sized bowl combine ingredients, adjusting seasoning to taste.
- A big thank you to Microplane for providing an Adjustable Slicer with Julienne Blade and a Cut Resistant Glove for review. Ah, the perks of being a food writer!
- The paddle shaped Adjustable Slicer with Julienne Blade is a perfect mandoline for kitchens with limited storage space.
- The Cut Resistant Glove or the Microplane food holder give you an added layer of security as you carefully wield the mandoline.
- Keep track of your removable julienne blade when washing the slicer. It will not work after getting trapped in a garburator. Don’t ask me how I know.
- See the demo below on how to use an Adjustable Slicer with Julienne Blade.