I’m a jerk! A long, long time ago, I volunteered to try out a group of Caribbean sauces made by Grace Foods, and then I got cold feet. I knew zilch about Caribbean cooking.
Recently I decided to face those fears and start experimenting. My first ever whole Jittery Jerk Chicken is proof positive that my fears were unfounded.
Do I love spicy food? Yes. Do I know how to make the wonderful spicy dishes of my dreams? I’m learning. Thanks to Grace Jerk Seasoning, I’ve mastered a fantastic spicy whole Jittery Jerk Chicken, with spicy gravy galore.
Jittery Jerk Chicken
- 3 1/2 lb whole chicken, patted dry
- 1/2 c finely chopped onion
- 1 T Grace Jerk (hot) Seasoning – or 3 if using mild seasoning
- 2 T each ketchup, olive oil, coconut sugar (or your favourite sweetener)
- 1 t each chopped garlic, sea salt, black pepper
In a small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients.
Place chicken in a Dutch oven, coat inside and out with marinade.
Preheat oven to 275F.
Roast chicken, covered, for 2 1/2 hours.
Increase the heat to 375F and continue roasting for 30 minutes.
Allow the chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before carving and serving, or save it to serve the next day. This chicken was excellent left over. Remove any fat solids that settle on top of the succulent gravy.
- The Grace Foods products were given to me to review. The opinions expressed are all my own.
- Read all about Jamaican jerk seasoning.
- Melissa Clark offers a guide to chicken roasting.
- Ever wonder about ecotourism in Jamaica?
- Set the mood for your Jittery Jerk Chicken dinner with the best new reggae music of 2015.