When you’ve had your fill of the Kardashian-Bieber playground to the stars in nearby Pointe Calumet, a short drive outside of Montreal in the direction of Oka, wander over to the beach, near a forest and bike trails and in the midst of lush farmland, with apple orchards and cheese galore. (Oh, how I love cheese!)
Purple Roasted Cabbage Apple Salad
- 1 small red cabbage, sliced 1/4-1/3-inch thick
- 2 t olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 apple, cored, diced
- 1/4 c pecan halves, crumbled and lightly toasted
- 2 T chopped dill
- 1 T cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 420°F.
In a baking pan, coat the cabbage slices with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 15 minutes to soften and brown the edges slightly.
Remove from oven and chop roughly.
In a large bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Add the chopped apple and stir, then add all ingredients, toss and serve. If not serving right away, keep the pecan aside and scatter on just before serving.
- Any Barbie-loving youngster would trade in Ken’s admiration for an outfit in these wonderful shades of violet.
- If you visit Les Fromages du Verger don’t forget to sample their cheese. Rumor has it that the Pommé is to cheese what happiness is to the soul.
- The Perfect Pantry inspired this Purple Roasted Cabbage Apple Salad.