It isn’t everyday that you stop for a bite in an unknown place and fall upon a gem. Resto Caprice, located just outside of Quebec City in Saint-Augustine-de-
Demaures, seems to be in the middle of nowhere, but is obviously close enough to civilization to have that je-ne-sais-quoi of fine cuisine. Sample their salad with its exquisite quintessential Canadian dressing (which they sell in the gourmet shop) if you’re in the hood.
If you’re not planning a trip to the burbs of Quebec City, you can whip up my fantastic jittery version of Maple Vinaigrette and allow it to grace this Caprice Salad.
Caprice Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- 8 c Mesclun salad or torn lettuce
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 lb (250 g) bacon, cooked until crispy, finely chopped into bits
- 4 small russet apples, peeled, cored, cut in eighths, sautéed on medium heat in a tablespoon of butter for 5 minutes
- 3/4 c lightly toasted walnuts
Right after sautéeing apples and toasting nuts, while ingredients are still warm, assemble plates. Divide lettuce and scatter equal amounts of cheese, bacon, apple and walnuts. Serves 4 as a main or 8 as a side dish. For a dreamy salad, serve 3 tablespoons of dressing on the side of each plate in shot glasses.
- 1/3 c organic canola oil, organic sunflower oil or olive oil
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar, red or the sweeter white
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 1/2 t Dijon mustard
In a medium-sized jar, add all ingredients and shake to combine. Refrigerate to store.
Caprice Salad with Maple Vinaigrette Print Ready Recipe
- No, you don’t have to use russet apples, but they were nice for a change.
- Here are 4 more versions of Maple Vinaigrette from Aimée Wimbush-Bourque at Simple Bites.
- This jittery Maple Vinaigrette would be amazing with our aromatic fresh local strawberries.
susan schwartz says
mmm. wonderful-sounding vinaigrette. i love the idea of incorporating maple syrup!
Jittery Cook says
So happy you like this maple vinaigrette Susan. It was fun to try to match the excellent flavour of the Resto Caprice version. I did ask them for their recipe but never heard back. Can’t say I blame them. It’s a dressing gold mine.
Jovina Coughlin says
Looks delicious and so refreshing for this time of year.
Jittery Cook says
Thanks Jovina. Honestly I’d eat this Caprice Salad anytime, anywhere.