L’Express is a Montreal landmark. It’s a bustling bistro on St. Denis — with reservations required, but friendly, helpful service that sets the tone for a pleasant meal without a side helping of snobbery.
This simple but exquisite salad started our meal on a perfect note. If you think you don’t like watercress or endives, try again. This velvety combo is a game changer.
L’Express Watercress Salad
- 1 bunch watercress, 1/2-inch trimmed off stems
- 2 endives, julienned into thin 2-inch strips
- 1/3 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 T each olive oil, white balsamic or cider vinegar
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1 firm bosc pear, diced small just prior to adding so it won’t brown
- 1/3 c aged cheddar cheese, diced small
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard and salt and oil.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine watercress, endive and onion. Toss with dressing. Add pear and toss gently. Plate and garnish with cheddar. Serves 4.
Vegan version: substitute walnuts for cheese.
- My big brother routinely throws me nutritional information and coincidentally this list of 41 nutrient packed fruit and vegetable superfoods just arrived. Can you guess what food item is #1 on the list?
- Here’s health writer Harriet Sugar Miller’s take on how watercress makes you healthy.
- Can you name 6 leafy greens that are healthier than kale?
- Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with an excursion to El Taco del Rey, next to Jean Talon Market, and come home with a variety of mouth-watering Mexican dips.