When day-to-day life starts grating on you, potatoes can have that calming effect. But how can you have your comfort and keep svelte too?
Add some other root vegetables and hold off on fats.
Butter and mayo may make potato salads palatable, but drizzling a a stingy amount of high quality olive oil on Root Veggie Salad will allow you to appreciate genuine flavours. Roasted carrots, parsnips and dill add oomph to those comforting taters.
Root Veggie Salad
- 4 potatoes, peeled, chopped bite-sized
- 8 small carrots, peeled, chopped small
- 5 parsnips, peeled, chopped small
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions. sliced
- 2 T chopped dill
- 3 T olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 T grainy old style mustard
- 2 T cider vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 420F.
In a baking pan, lightly coat potatoes with olive oil and a little sea salt. In another pan, lightly coat carrots and parsnips. Roast veggies, flipping once or twice, for about 30 minutes or until they are soft and browned.
In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with mustard, vinegar and pepper. In a large bowl, add dressing to roasted root veggies, dill, scallions and celery. Toss well. Serve on a bed of lettuce. For a light meal, serve with hard-boiled eggs and wild canned salmon. Serve hot or warm. Serves 8.
- Are you familiar with the Canadian poet Lorna Crozier?
- Have you heard Lorna recite The Last Erotic Poem?