Bringing our family together over brunch to celebrate a double birthday (grandpa, 92; eldest grandchild, 41) requires a few “musts.” You must serve bagels. You must have something wonderful to put on said bagels — cream cheese, goat cheese and smoked salmon, for example. You must serve something wonderful for dessert.
Layered Roasted Veggie Quiche is not a “must.” But it is a welcome addition for anyone craving a hot, satisfying, comfort-food treat.
- 1 small cauliflower, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 small zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
- olive oil spray
- sea salt
Preheat oven to 420F. Roast veggies for about 30 minutes, on several pans, in single layers, with a little olive oil and sea salt. Flip after 15-20 minutes and remove any cooked vegetables at that time. When all vegetables are ready, chop up any cauliflower stems that remain firm.
Layered Roasted Veggie Quiche
- 10 eggs
- 1 c each skim milk, 2% Greek yogurt, grated mozzarella, grated parmesan, homemade breadcrumbs (or matzo meal)
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 3/4 t sea salt
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 scallions, thinly sliced
- roasted veggies
Preheat oven to 420F.
Lightly butter or oil a 9×13-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, yogurt, mustard, salt, pepper and thyme.
Layer cauliflower and zucchini on the bottom of the baking dish, reserving a few attractive pieces for the top layer. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the mozzarella, parmesan, scallions and breadcrumbs.
Layer on the tomato and onion, reserving a few attractive pieces for the top layer. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the mozzarella, parmesan, scallions and breadcrumbs.
Layer on remaining vegetables. Top with mozzarella, parmesan, scallions and breadcrumbs.
Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 30 minutes or until set, golden and bubbly. Serve with green salad. Serves 8-10 as a main, twice as many as part of a brunch spread.
- This recipe was inspired by Saputo Lite’s Mozzarellissima, a stretchy, buttery mozzarella.
- What else is special about Layered Roasted Veggie Quiche? It can be frozen ahead of time, making party day a snap, and if there are any leftovers, they taste wonderful the next day.
- Many happy returns to the birthday boys.