We all face the same problem: what to do with overripe bananas. There are only so many cakes, breads and smoothies we can tolerate. It’s time for a new solution that doesn’t require any additional sugar and takes less than 3 minutes to prepare. Meet the Instant Breakfast Banana Split. It says breakfast but can be enjoyed at any time of the day or night.
Instant Breakfast Banana Split
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, covered on a plate, microwaved for 2 minutes
- 1 t each ground flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds
- 1 T steel cut oatmeal, soaked in water the night before
- 1 T crumbled walnut
- 1/2 c 2% plain Greek yogurt
Sprinkle seeds over hot banana. Garnish with oatmeal, walnuts and yogurt. Try it with a cup of coffee. The contrast in flavours, textures and temperatures are so satisfying — sweet and sour; crunchy, chewy and silky smooth; piping hot and refreshingly cool. Serves 1.
- No banana split is complete without a maraschino cherry on top. So check out Maraschino, the art show that my daughter, Adrianne Rubenstein, is curating in Portland, Oregon.
- Not one, not two,but 25 powerful reasons to eat bananas.
- Keep a small jar of steel cut oatmeal, just covered with water, in the fridge to spoon over yogurt for upcoming meals or snacks.
- Now, with all the time you just saved from breakfast prep, reward yourself by binge watching these episodes of LARP. Warning: LARP (live action role players) can be addictive. Hit PLAYLIST below for more episodes.