Anyone ever tell you that you can be OK with not being OK? That was my take home message from a recent weekend yoga retreat. I can’t tell you how much better it made me feel.
Then there are the tangible things that make you feel better—such as this Freekeh Frittata filled with roasted vegetables, giving every bite a pleasing burst of flavour.
- 2 zucchini, sliced into thin long spears
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 container cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 c freekeh, cooked with a bit of sea salt and black pepper
- 6 small eggs, beaten lightly in a large bowl
- 1 1/2 c cottage cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 t sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c each chopped parsley, dill
Lightly brush vegetables with a tablespoon of olive oil, seasoned with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then grill at 400F for 15-20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Add the cheese, zest, parsley, dill, salt and pepper to the eggs.
Spray a 9×13-inch casserole with a little olive oil. Spread the freekeh on the bottom. Layer on most of the grilled vegetables. Spread the egg mixture over the vegetables, topping the frittata with the remainder of the vegetables.
Bake for 35 minutes, until the top is set. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6. Serve with Jicama Carrot Salad.
Jicama Carrot Salad
- 1 small jicama, peeled, julienned
- 2 large carrots, slivered with a julienne peeler
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 1/3 c each chopped dill, parsley
Combine ingredients in a large bowl and toss with Sherry Dijon Vinaigrette. Serves 6.
Sherry Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 T finely chopped dry shallot
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 T sherry vinegar
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- 3 T olive oil
In a small bowl, combine shallots, garlic, vinegar and salt. Add mustard. Slowly add oil while stirring with a fork.
- Happy Mother’s Day! Serve Freekeh Frittata or follow one of these 25 Mother’s Day brunch suggestions.
- If you are looking for a good dessert, how about these 20 Jittery Desserts?
- Still mulling over your MD brunch menu? Here are 8 more crowd pleasers:
Cheese Baked Egg on Hash Browns
Smoked Salmon Tower of Brunch
Poached Egg on Baked Mashed Potato
Swiss Chard Burger
Coconut Jam French Toast with Fresh Berries
Parsley Omelet with Smoked Salmon
Bagel Lox Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetables
Deviled Eggs De-Lox