This is the time of year when meditation becomes mandatory. I’m not talking about the kind of meditation where you empty your mind. No, I’m talking about inviting images of blue sky, white sand, green palm trees swaying in the breeze and turquoise waves lapping at the toes.
While you are entering the Caribbean meditation zone, you might as well complete the picture with images of you and your loved ones snacking on this Caribbean Chicken. Flavourful, fresh and so saucy, it will warm your insides while you bask in your imaginary sun. To get you started, here are a few visuals.
- 12 drumsticks (Substitute: 36 wings or 6 breasts or 1 1/2 whole birds.)
- 1/2 c each minced onion, chopped scallion
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded, chopped (Substitute: 1 jalapeño and 1 long red hot.)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 c fresh lime juice
- 2 T each olive oil, honey, brown or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 T ground allspice
- 1 T each orange zest, grated ginger, apple cider vinegar, chopped fresh thyme
- 2 t each Worcestershire, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper
Combine marinade ingredients in a food processor. Coat the chicken and marinate, refrigerated, for 1-3 hours. Grill, broil, bake at 350F for an hour or cook in a slow cooker on high until done (165F). Serves 6.
- Thanks to my dear friend, Sheryl Shuchat, for suggesting the wonderful Montego Bay Jerked Chicken from Angela Spenceley‘s “A Taste of the Caribbean Cookbook.” This adaptation uses less sweetener than the original.
- Have you seen these 19 mind blowing tricks every iPad and iPhone user should know?
- Interested in 5 bizarre weight loss tricks that work?
- Wondering what to give your favourite food photographers for the holidays?
- How about some Bob Marley music to keep you dancing while you cook this Caribbean Chicken?
- Grilled Jerk Chicken (epicurious.com)
- Top 5 Jerk Chicken recipes (foodnetwork.ca)
- Jerk Chicken (jamaicatravelandculture.com)
- Negril – Caribbean soul food at its finest (wetrykai.wordpress.com)
- Heinz Red Zone: Caribbean-Style Chicken Wings (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken-the yummy recipe for you (slideshare.net)