My good friend, Dr. David Silver, has a 93-year-old uncle who likes things his way. He could no longer see the numbers on his scale, so he insisted on purchasing a talking scale, even though his wife offered to help him out by reading his weight.
When the talking scale was finally unwrapped and ready to operate, he stepped on, and his loving wife stood by to witness the event: “150 pounds,” the scale announced. Sam cupped his hand over his ear and asked, “What did it say?”
This Baked Apple Sweet Potato Side Dish will keep Sam and everyone else happy with the numbers they see on their scales. Now if only I could figure out a way to send you all the aroma wafting from the oven as this cooks to perfection.
Baked Apple Sweet Potato Side Dish
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 1/2 c fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1/2 c pecans, lightly toasted, roughly chopped as garnish
- 1/2 pomegranate, seeds used as garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 400F. Combine ingredients except for pecans and pomegranate in a large bowl. Lightly grease a large 9×13-inch baking dish. Place the sweet potato mixture into the pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Then, if you can resist, allow it to rest in the hot oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the pecans and pomegranate seeds on top before serving. Can be served on top of baby arugula salad, lightly dressed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and black pepper. Serves 6-8.
- May your life be filled with things to be grateful for, especially good health and a loving entourage.
- Sweet Potatoes Rule (eatgreatbegreat.wordpress.com)
- 15 Recipe Ideas for Hosting Your Own Sweet Potato Bar – Gatherings From The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Stuffed Sweet Potato. (healthylivinghealthyus.com)
- Sweet Potato and Apple Kugel (nytimes.com)
- Sweet Potato Kugel Secret Recipe Club (weetandsavorytooth.com)