The honeymoon’s over. I’m dreading the impending cold weather. I want time to stop, move backwards or fast forward and skip over winter. (Sorry, George.) I’ll do anything to hold onto summer weather—including flapping my arms and flying south. But wait, I see a basket of ripe summer peaches, and we might still get to enjoy a few warm days before the snow falls. Time to make my Mom’s Ginger Peach Chutney.
Ginger Peach Chutney – Mom’s Best
- 10 large or 14 small peaches
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c white vinegar
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1 T grated ginger
- 2 T mild curry powder
- 1 t mustard seeds
- 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 t sea salt
Score the skin of each peach with a sharp knife as if cutting into quarters, then immerse in boiling water for 30 seconds. Peel, then chop peaches into small bits and place them into a large pot. Add sugar and vinegar.
Using medium-high heat, bring peaches, sugar and vinegar to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool. Discard the cinnamon sticks.
Rinse out jars with boiling water, then fill them with chutney. Line the tops with parchment paper before closing. Freezes well. Makes 5 cups of Ginger Peach Chutney. Serves 10 generously, 20 if you want to be careful about your sugar intake. And we all know that you ought to be careful about your sugar intake because sugar is the new tobacco.
Serve Ginger Peach Chutney with cheese, rice, lentils, chicken, fish, shrimp, scallops, beef or lamb. Pictured above with Lentil Rice Pilaf and below with Sesame Ginger Chicken. Wonderful and wonderfuler.
- My mom told me this was a fabulous recipe, and I decided to trust her. Now you have to trust me. This Ginger Peach Chutney puts store bought jars to shame.
- Watch this video on how to make chutney.
- Read these suggestions on how to use chutney.
- Ever wonder how much sugar you should consume on a daily basis?
- Why do they call it Labour Day?
- Nectarine peach chutney mostarda tautology redundancy (gourmandistan.com)
- Peach Chutney (primandprimal.wordpress.com)
- Melon Chili Ginger Chutney… and a new way for sterilizing ! (goodfoodeveryday.wordpress.com)
- Peach Shortcake with Candied Ginger (bangordailynews.com)
- Striped Bass with Grilled Peach Chutney (thelocaldish.com)