I went on vacation with my hubby for a week. Sure I missed family and friends, but what I really, really missed was my Oat Bran Breakfast. A croissant may taste momentarily heavenly, but creamy oat bran with fresh berries, healthy seeds, cinnamon and a teaspoon of pomegranate syrup…That’s a recipe that fills you and instills wellness.
Vacation food is super, but you do miss the wholesome goodness of home cooked, digestible healthy fare, such as Chickpea Soup with Spicy Feta Eggplant.
- 3 T olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 c dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight, then drained
- 1 t each ground cumin, coriander
- 10 c soup stock
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- cilantro or parsley, finely chopped as garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot. Cook the garlic over medium-low for 2 minutes stirring. Add chickpeas, cumin, coriander and soup stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 90 minutes or until the chickpeas are tender.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Add carrots, celery and onion, and cook covered, over low heat, for about 15 minutes, or until softened, but not browned.
Use a strong blender to puree the soup. Season with lemon, salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro. Serves 8-10.
Spicy Feta Eggplant
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch thick round slices
- 2 T olive oil, seasoned with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c chipotle mayonnaise (low fat – homemade with Greek yogurt, recipe below, or spicy tomato sauce)
- 1 c crumbled feta (or your favourite cheese)
- 1/3 c red onion, finely chopped
- chopped parsley as garnish
Preheat oven to 420F. Lay the eggplant slices out on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a non-sticking mat. Lightly brush or spray on seasoned olive oil. Roast the eggplant for about 25 minutes, turning and coating the second side with olive oil at halftime.
When the eggplant slices are roasted, lightly coat each slice with a little chipotle mayonnaise, some feta and red onions. Bake at 420F for 8 minutes, then broil for 1-2 minutes just before serving. Serves 6-8.
- 1 1/2 T each white vinegar, sugar
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 c 2% thick Greek yogurt
- 1 T Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, mashed to a paste
- 1 t sea salt and a little freshly ground black pepper
Combine vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard, stirring until evenly mixed. Add Greek yogurt, and stir until well mixed. Add chipotle pepper, salt and black pepper and mix well. Keep refrigerated.
- Ever looked at photos of the Bay of Kotor, read about the history or looked for a travel article on Montenegro?
- Click below for a few jittery vacation photos from Montenegro.
- Recipe: Quinoa chickpea salad (allthingsnice.ca)
- Spicy Fish Kokorec and Smoky Eggplant Feta Dip (eatwithnamie.com)
- Roasted Vegetables & Chickpea Salad (ramenreduction.com)
- Holy Batman, these Chickpea Feta Burgers are not just for vegetarians. (burningthebutter.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Chickpea Salad w/ Avocado + The Secret to Perfect Roasted Chickpeas (thesmartcookiecook.com)
- Summer pasta w/ salsa cruda + roast eggplant (pineapple-st.com)
- Roasted Veggie and Chickpea salad (nononsensenibbles.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Eggplant and Cherry Tomatoes with Feta and Oregano Pesto (lattesandleggings.com)
- Recipe: Cajun Chickpea Wraps (lovesweetiebear.wordpress.com)
- Feta and Pomegranate Salad (thegraduatefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Couscous Salad with Grilled Eggplant and Hazelnuts (eatwithnamie.com)