Do you have many secrets? I can only keep a secret for a few minutes, and if I do manage to keep one for longer, it’s because I forgot it. That happens occasionally. My advice to anyone who really, really wants a secret kept: Don’t tell it to anyone. If you happen to bump into OZ, however, you won’t have to tell your secrets, he’ll just read them right from your mind.
So what does this have to do with today’s recipe? I’m not telling.
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
• 4 red bell peppers, roasted as below, then quartered
• 1 T olive oil
• 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 red onion, chopped
• 3 c homemade chicken broth
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 T finely minced parsley
Preheat oven to 400F. Place whole peppers on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, and roast for about 15 minutes. Turn peppers, and continue roasting about 15 more minutes, until skin wrinkles and blackens in spots. Remove from baking sheet, and place in a paper bag or a bowl. Seal the bag or cover the bowl, and let stand until peppers are cool enough to handle. Remove skin and seeds.
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions. Sauté over medium-low heat, covered, stirring occasionally until onions are very soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in roasted peppers and continue cooking for a few minutes. Using a blender, combine the pepper mixture with the broth, and blend smooth. Cover and cook over medium heat, for 10 minutes. Season to taste. Serves 6.
Brussels Sprout Chips
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- olive oil spray
- sea salt
Preheat oven to 400F.
Trim about 1/4 inch from the stem end of brussels sprouts. Peel leaves to separate. When brussels sprouts become difficult to peel, trim off another 1/4 inch from stem and continue removing leaves; discard cores. Rinse leaves and dry well.
Lay out Brussels sprout leaves on a large baking pan covered with parchment paper. Lightly spray with olive oil, and sprinkle on a little sea salt. Roast for 10 minutes, remove leaves as they get a bit brown and crispy. Continue roasting until they are all done, checking every few minutes. Serve as a snack or as a garnish.
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup recipe is courtesy of Caryn Roll. Everyone at work raved about the flavour of this soup – a special Valentine’s Day treat.
- Here is a secret I hope you tell: Today is the 200th Jittery Cook post!
- Have you been searching for 34 insanely simple 2-ingredient recipes?
- Check out these blogs about travelling in Italy.
- Wondering what time of day is best to exercise?
- Ready to purchase your tickets to have your mind read by OZ?
* * * Contest Alert * * *
Send in your favourite recipes to [email protected] for a chance to win the Tasty Turkey Prize Pack. Drawing on March 22, 2013.
- One zippered, insulated grocery bag (big enough to carry home a LOT of turkey!)
- One silicone oven mitt
- Boxed set of carving tools
- Recipe booklet
- Meatballer with recipe
- Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup with Parmesan (yummyfoodmadeeasy.wordpress.com)
- From the Kitchen of Chef Michael Davies – Tomato and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup (elmhurstinndining.wordpress.com)
- Yummy Creamy Red Pepper Soup Recipe (ctworkingmoms.com)
- Oven Roasted Red Bell Pepper (simplybittenkitchen.net)